Roasted beets, fresh shredded kale and creamy lemon tahini dressing are a match made in heaven in this Kale Beet Salad recipe! It's gluten free, vegan and easy to make in just 20 minutes!
Roasted beets are one of my favorite salad toppings. Want to know my secret for making them in 10 minutes? Purchase peeled & steamed beets in the produce section at the grocery store.
Since the beets are already fully cooked, you can roast them in just 10 minutes! They'll still have the wonderful flavor you get from roasting the beets in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, but in WAY less time than roasting raw beets!
Using this roasted beet trick, this salad can be whipped up in just 20 minutes, making this a great recipe for an easy lunch, dinner or meal prep!
This recipe is naturally vegan and gluten free. It's also Whole30 approved, making it perfect for anyone, no matter your dietary needs!
Step by Step Instructions
- Prepare the lemon tahini dressing. This dressing recipe only takes 5 minutes to make. Add all of the ingredients to a blender, puree and voila, this dressing is ready to go!
- Roast the beets. Quarter peeled and steamed beets, then place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cover with minced garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Place in the oven to roast at 450°F for 10 minutes.
- Massage the kale. Add shredded kale to a large bowl with olive oil. Use your hands to massage the olive oil into the kale. This will infuse the olive oil into the kale and make it more tender and delicious!
- Assemble the salad. Divide the massaged kale between two bowls. Top with the roasted beets, slivered almonds, sliced red onion and diced avocado. Drizzle the lemon tahini dressing over the salad.
Tips & Tricks
- Prepare the lemon tahini dressing ahead of time. When planning my menu for the week, I look at what sauces and dressings I'm going to need for bowls and salads throughout the week. I then prepare them over the weekend, so they're ready to go for the week! The lemon tahini dressing will last in the refrigerator for up to 10 days, so you can easily make it in advance.
- Don't skip massaging the kale! This is the secret to breaking down the tough, fibrous kale leaves and making them tender and easier to digest. This simple trick will make you love kale for more than just it's nutritional benefits!
- I used curly kale for this recipe, but lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale or tuscan kale can also be used.
- You can use raw beets... it will just take longer! Raw beets can be used instead of steamed beets in this salad. To use raw beets, peel the beets, quarter them, then place them on a large piece of foil with the garlic, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Wrap the foil around the beets, then place them in the oven for one hour, or until fork tender.
- If you're not vegan, a sprinkling of crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese is delicious on this salad!
- Diced apples, shredded carrots or diced cucumber can also be added to this salad for an extra burst of vitamins from the fruit and veggies!
- Wondering what to do with the extra lemon tahini dressing? The tahini dressing on top of this salad can not be missed! It's zesty, creamy and oh-so-delicious. But the recipe makes about 4 times more than you need for these bowls. So what to do? Drizzle it on top of these Roasted Broccoli Buddha Bowls or these Za'atar Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowls. Or just eat it with a spoon, because seriously, it's that good!
Make It Vegan
- This kale salad is already vegan, so no modifications need to be made.
Make It Low Carb
- Each serving of this salad contains 34 total carbs and 24 net carbs. Most of these carbs come from the beets and kale, so I do not recommend making any modifications to lower the carbs. Check out all of our low carb recipes for low carb salad and bowl ideas!
Meal Prep It
- For storage: Prepare the beets and massage the kale as instructed. Divide the kale between two storage containers, top with the roasted beets, almonds and red onions. Wrap the avocado in plastic wrap and place the lemon tahini dressing in a small salad dressing container. Add both to the larger container with the additional salad ingredients.
- Storage time: store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Add a Protein
- For a plant based protein option, add hemp seeds, chickpeas or additional almonds to the salad.
- One tablespoon of hemp seeds will add 3 grams of protein to each salad, for a total of 15 grams of protein per serving.
- Add ¼ cup chickpeas to each salad, for an additional 3 grams of protein per salad and a total of 15 grams of protein per serving. The chickpeas can be drained and rinsed from a can, then added to the salad with the roasted beets, onion and avocado.
- Add an additional ¼ cup slivered almonds to the recipe, for a total of ¼ cup almonds per serving. This will add an additional 3 grams of protein per salad, for a total of 15 grams of protein per serving.
- For a meat based protein option, add roasted salmon to the salad. I highly recommend this Balsamic Salmon recipe. It's my all time favorite way to prepare salmon and it pairs perfectly with the balsamic roasted beets in this salad!
- Adding a 6 oz salmon filet to each salad, will add 36 grams of protein per serving, for a total of 48 grams of protein.
Looking for more delicious salad ideas? Try these 5 recipes!
- Cauliflower Rice Salad
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
- Veggie Fajita Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette
- Vegan Cobb Salad
- Healthy Cucumber Tomato Salad
Kale Beet Salad
- 8 ounces peeled & steamed beets quartered
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups shredded curly kale
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup red onions thinly sliced
- ½ avocado diced
- ¼ cup lemon tahini dressing
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil then place the beets on top.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic over the beets then drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
- Top with the salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the beets are roasting, add the shredded kale and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large bowl, massage the olive oil into the kale.
- Divide the kale between two bowls.
- Top with the roasted beets, almonds, red onions and avocado.
- Drizzle with the lemon tahini dressing.
- If using raw beets, instead of peeled and steamed beets, wrap the beets in the foil with the balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 1 hour.
- Prepare the lemon tahini dressing before starting the salad recipe. The dressing can be prepared up to 10 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.