Smokey charred cauliflower is paired with fresh arugula and a seriously delicious Harissa Tahini Sauce in this vegan and gluten free bowl recipe! Made in just 20 minutes, this healthy bowl is perfect for lunch, dinner or meal prep!
If you've ever been to True Food Kitchen and tried their Charred Cauliflower appetizer, this is just like that, but made into a meal! I love the flavors that they combined in this dish so much, that I knew I had to turn it into a bowl.
The charred cauliflower really is the star of this bowl, but the Harissa Tahini Sauce should definitely win a best supporting actress award! The cauliflower is tossed with dates, pistachios and fresh mint, then served with a salad of arugula tossed with olive oil.
The arugula can be substituted with spinach, spring mix or any greens of your choice. For a boost of protein and to make the bowls extra filling, feel free to cook up some quinoa and add it to the bowl.
How to Make Charred Cauliflower
Making charred cauliflower on the stove is so easy and delicious! It only takes two simple steps for success every time.
- Toss the cauliflower in oil before charring it in the skillet. This ensures that the cauliflower is evenly coated in oil and will cook evenly.
- Make sure that the pan is very hot before adding the cauliflower. This will give the cauliflower that wonderful charred crust for great texture and flavor!
Make it low carb
Omit the dates to reduce this bowl from 44 carbs per serving, to 16 carbs per serving.
Meal prep it
For storage: Char the cauliflower, then toss it with the pistachios, dates and fresh mint. Set aside and allow the cauliflower to cool. Once the cauliflower has cooled, place it in a plastic storage container.
Place the arugula in a plastic zipper bag and add it to the storage container with the cauliflower. Pour the extra olive oil for dressing the arugula, in a separate small container.
Place the harissa tahini sauce in another small container. Add both of the small containers to the larger plastic container with the cauliflower and arugula.
To reheat and eat: remove the small containers of olive oil and sauce, as well as the plastic bag of arugula, from the storage container. Heat the cauliflower in the microwave for 90 seconds. Add the arugula and olive oil to the container and toss together. Top the bowl with the harissa tahini sauce.
Note: This bowl can also be eaten cold. While the charred cauliflower is delicious warm, it's just as delicious cold!
Add A Protein
For more plant based protein, add chickpeas, black lentils or quinoa. Adding ½ cup of canned chickpeas to each bowl, will add 5.5 grams of protein. The chickpeas can be removed from the can, drained and rinsed, then added directly to the bowl.
For meat-based protein, add grilled chicken. Adding 4 oz grilled chicken to each bowl adds 35 grams of protein.
Already grilled chicken breast strips can be purchased at the grocery store, or you can grill a piece of chicken at home to add to this bowl.
If grilling your own chicken at home, I recommend tossing ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast with ½ tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder before grilling. These flavors will pair well with the harissa tahini sauce.
More cauliflower recipes
Looking for more delicious cauliflower bowls to try? Check out these recipes!
- Indian Cauliflower Bowl
- Greek Cauliflower Rice Salad
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
- Chipotle Cauliflower Vegan Taco Bowl
- Cauliflower Shawarma Bowl
Charred Cauliflower Bowl
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 tablespoon olive oil divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- ½ cup dates pitted & chopped
- ¼ cup pistachios chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- ¼ cup harissa tahini sauce clink link for recipe
- Toss the cauliflower florets with 2 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet on the stove over high heat.
- Add the cauliflower and sear on all sides for 10-12 minutes, or until charred.
- Remove from the heat and toss with the dates, pistachios and mint.
- Divide the fresh arugula between two bowls, add ½ tablespoon olive oil to each bowl and toss with the arugula.
- Top with the cauliflower and drizzle with the harissa tahini sauce.
- Low Carb Option: Omit the dates in this recipe to reduce the carbs per bowl to 16 carbs.
- Green Options: The arugula can be substituted with spinach, spring mix or any greens of your choice.