Chunks of creamy avocado are paired with juicy tomatoes, spicy jalapenos and zesty lime juice in this Chunky Avocado Salsa recipe! It's delicious with grilled chicken, salmon or just dipped up with a chip!
I love avocados and I love salsa, so I decided to combine the two into a tasty chunky salsa recipe! This salsa is easily made in just 10 minutes and delicious on top of Mexican style bowls and salads, or on it's own with a bag of chips for dipping!
How to make it
- Dice 3 avocados. To do this, first slice the avocado in half and remove the pit, then slice each half again. Now that you have four quarters of avocado, peel the skin off the avocado and discard. Now you're ready to make perfectly diced avocado!
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir to combine the diced avocado with quartered cherry tomatoes, diced red onion and minced jalapenos.
- Note: I use the word gently, because you don't want to mash the avocado!
- Add fresh squeezed lime juice, fresh chopped cilantro and salt to season the salsa.
- Serve immediately or cover the bowl tightly with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tips and tricks
- Use perfectly ripe avocados in the salsa. If they're overripe they will turn to mush when you try to dice them. If they're underripe, they won't have that perfectly creamy texture.
- Quick Tip! Avocados can actually be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 WEEKS! That's right, once an avocado is perfectly ripe, place it in the refrigerator and it will stay perfect for up to 3 weeks. People always ask how the slices of avocados on my bowls are always so perfect, well now you know my secret!
- So how do you know when an avocado is ripe? Give it a light squeeze, if it's hard, that means it's not ripe yet. If it indents with a light squeeze, that means it's over ripe. When an avocado is perfectly ripe it will be just slightly soft to the touch.
- Use the salsa within 3 days. The lime juice in the salsa helps prevent the avocado from turning browning. But after 3 days of sitting in the refrigerator, the texture and flavor of the salsa will not be the same.
- Not a fan of spice? You can definitely omit the jalapenos in this recipe.
- Love spicy food? Add an extra jalapeno or a minced serrano pepper to spice this salsa up!
How to serve it
- With chips for dipping! Grab your favorite tortilla chip and dig right into this bowl of fresh avocado tomato salsa!
- Place it on top of Chipotle Grilled Chicken in the zoodle bowl recipe pictured above.
- Add the salsa to these Low Carb Fish Taco Bowls.
- Use the salsa as a topping on these Chipotle Honey Glazed Salmon Tacos.
- Add the salsa to this Chipotle Cauliflower Taco Bowl for a tasty plant based meal!
- Replace the guacamole and pico de gallo on this Veggie Fajita Salad with this Chunky Avocado Salsa!
- Add it to this Tex Mex Egg Roll in a Bowl!
- Use it to top this Whole30 Turkey Taco Salad recipe.
- Add it to this Vegan Taco Bowl with Tofu Taco Crumbles!
More easy vegan salsas, sauces and salad dressings
- Creamy Vegan Chipotle Sauce
- Miso Vinaigrette
- Sweet Sesame Sauce
- Harissa Tahini Sauce
- Vegan Poblano Cashew Ranch Dressing
Chunky Avocado Salsa
- 3 ripe avocados peeled, seed removed & diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- ¼ cup lime juice fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- In a large bowl, gently combine the diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, diced red onion and minced jalapenos.
- Add the lime juice, cilantro and salt, gently stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Make sure the avocados used are perfectly ripe. Using avocados that are overripe will result in a mushy salsa, instead of chunky salsa!
- This salsa can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The lime juice in the salsa will prevent the avocado from browning in the fridge.