If you're a fan of Cheesecake Factory's famous Tex Mex Egg Rolls, then you're going to love this easy Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe! It has all of the delicious filling of the egg rolls, including flavorful roasted chicken, corn, black beans and creamy avocado dressing!
The ingredients are served in a bowl over rice, turning a delicious appetizer into a scrumptious meal. Want to make a healthy, keto-friendly version of this Tex Mex Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe? Simply ditch the beans and serve the bowl with shredded lettuce instead of rice.
How to make Tex Mex Egg Roll In A Bowl
- What you'll need:
- Black beans - canned black beans work perfect for this recipe, just make sure to drain and rinse them from the can before using them in the recipe!
- Corn - you can easily use corn drained from a canned, frozen corn or fresh corn kernels, cut off the cob, in this recipe.
- Bell Pepper - you'll want to dice the pepper into small pieces, similar in size to the beans and corn. Red, green, yellow or orange bell peppers will also work just fine for this recipe.
- Avocado Oil - extra virgin olive oil can also be used if you don't have avocado oil on hand.
- Taco Seasoning - I like to make my own taco seasoning because I know exactly what's going in it. If purchasing pre-made taco seasoning at the grocery store, always make sure to check the ingredients. Preferably purchase a seasoning mix that only contains spices. Some taco seasonings will contain wheat and are therefore not gluten free.
- Chicken - for this recipe, I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded out to about 1 inch thickness. At this thickness, the chicken will cook in the oven at the same time and temperature as the beans, corn and bell peppers.
- White Rice - I use white rice as the base for these bowls, but brown rice or quinoa could also be used instead. If you start cooking the rice right before you begin making these bowls, it should be done in just about the same time as all of the ingredients for the bowls. Check out this post for how to cook white rice in an Instant Pot, rice cooker or on the stove.
- Cotija Cheese - this is my favorite Mexican cheese. It's crumbly, salty and works perfectly on these bowls. Queso fresco is a great substitute if cotija cannot be found. Shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese can also be used, if that's what you have on hand.
- Fresh Ingredients - diced tomato, red onion and fresh chopped cilantro add a fresh burst of flavor to these bowls.
- Cilantro Avocado Dressing - Tex Mex Egg Rolls wouldn't be complete without the signature creamy cilantro dipping sauce! It only takes 5 minutes to whip up this cilantro avocado sauce and it really is the perfect creamy topping to finish off these bowls!
- How to prepare the bowls:
- Toss the black beans, corn and bell peppers with avocado oil and taco seasoning. Place in an even layer on a foil lined baking sheet, then top with another piece of foil.
- Rub chicken breasts with avocado oil and season with taco seasoning. Place on the foil lined baking sheet with the beans, corn and peppers, but do not cover the chicken.
- Note: if there's not room on the baking sheet with the beans, corns and peppers, place the chicken on a separate baking sheet.
- Place the black beans, corn, peppers and chicken in a 450°F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. A meat thermometer can be used to check the internal temperature of the chicken before removing it from the oven.
- Remove the chicken, beans, corn and peppers from the oven.
- Dice the chicken into small cubes
- Divide cooked rice between four bowls, top with the diced chicken, corn, beans and peppers.
- Add diced tomatoes, cotija cheese and diced red onions to the bowl.
- Top with a drizzle of avocado dressing and fresh chopped cilantro.
Easy Tex Mex Egg Roll In A Bowl Modifications
Make It Vegan
- Sub in extra veggies & omit the chicken. Add an extra cup of diced bell peppers, or another veggie, like diced zucchini or yellow squash, in with the black beans and corn. Roast the vegetables just like you would without the chicken.
- Omit the cheese. Simply leave off the cheese on top of the bowl.
- Swap out the avocado dressing for Cashew Poblano Ranch Dressing or Vegan Creamy Chipotle Sauce.
Make It Low Carb
- Ditch the white rice. Substitute cauliflower rice or shredded lettuce as the base of the bowl.
- Omit the black beans. Beans are high in carbohydrates, so you'll want to leave them out of the bowl to make it low-carb. You can simply omit them from the recipe, or sub in extra diced bell peppers.
- Carb savings: substituting in 3 cups shredded lettuce for the white rice and ditching the black beans will take this recipe from 61 carbs per bowl, down to 21 carbs per bowl!
Meal Prep It
- For storage: cook the rice, chicken, beans, corn and bell peppers. Separate the rice into four separate plastic storage containers, then top with the cooked chicken, black beans, corn and peppers. Place the diced tomatoes, red onions and cotija cheese in small separate containers or ziplock bags. Place the avocado dressing in a small salad dressing container and place in the storage container with the other bowl ingredients.
- To reheat and eat: Remove the salad dressing, diced tomatoes, red onions and cotija cheese from the storage container. Heat the rice, chicken, beans, corn and peppers in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and top with the tomatoes, onions, cheese and avocado dressing.
Add A Protein
- These bowls are already packed with protein at 39 grams of protein per bowl, so no additional protein is needed for these bowls.
Looking for more Mexican style bowls to dig into? Check out these 6 recipes!
- Elote Bowls
- Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- Vegetarian Enchilada Bowls with Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
- Chipotle Chicken Zoodle Bowls
- Veggie Fajita Rice Bowls from WhitneyBond.com
- Vegan Burrito Bowls from WhitneyBond.com
Tex Mex Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 15 oz can black beans drained & rinsed
- 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 cup bell pepper small dice
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to 1 inch thickness
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tomato diced
- ½ cup cotija cheese crumbled
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup avocado dressing
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn and bell pepper.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon avocado oil, then with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning.
- Arrange in an even layer on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Rub the chicken with the remaining tablespoon of avocado oil and tablespoon of taco seasoning.
- Place on the foil lined baking sheet with the corn, beans and peppers.
- Cover the corn, bean and peppers with another piece of foil. Do NOT cover the chicken.
- Place in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and dice the chicken.
- Divide the cooked rice between four separate bowls, top with the cooked, diced chicken and roasted corn, beans and peppers.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cotija cheese and diced red onion to the bowls.
- Top with the avocado dressing and garnish with the fresh chopped cilantro.
- Corn: 2 cups frozen corn kernels or fresh corn kernels, removed from the cob, can be used in place of the canned corn in this recipe.
- Leftovers: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.