Searching for the perfect low carb, high protein meal? This Chipotle Chicken Bowl is just what you're looking for! At 16 carbs and 53 grams of protein per serving, this gluten free bowl is a delicious addition to a healthy diet!
The original inspiration for this blog came from these Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls. This wildly popular recipe is actually quite simple. Spiralized zucchini noodles with grilled chicken and a fresh tomato topping.
Simple ingredients coming together to create bold flavors is something I'm all about! That's why I took inspiration from these popular zoodle bowls to create this new recipe!
The chicken in these bowls is marinated in a copycat version of Chipotle's famous Honey Chipotle Vinaigrette dressing. The vinaigrette is so delicious, I couldn't just toss it with this Veggie Fajita Salad, then forget about it! I had to figure out as many ways to use it as possible and marinating chicken in the dressing turned out to be a fantastic idea!
Once the dressing is made, in just 5 minutes, toss it with chicken, let it marinade for an hour, then grill the chicken and serve it over zucchini noodles, topped with Chunky Avocado Salsa.
Boom! Flavorful, healthy chipotle chicken bowls await you!
How to make chipotle chicken bowls
- Prepare the chipotle vinaigrette marinade. Use the link to grab this easy vinaigrette dressing recipe. I use it in salads throughout the week and to marinate this chicken. If you already have some if your fridge, that's perfect!
- Marinate the chicken. Place two chicken breasts in ¼ cup of the chipotle vinaigrette dressing. Marinate in the refrigerator for preferably at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
- Prepare the chunky avocado salsa. While the chicken is marinating, toss together the avocado salsa. It only takes 10 minutes and it's so delicious, you'll want to put it on everything!!
- Note: Other options for topping these bowls are pico de gallo, guacamole or your favorite salsa recipe!
- Prepare the zoodles. Use a spiralizer to turn zucchinis into zucchini noodles. Pour olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the zucchini noodles and saute for 3-5 minutes, then set aside.
- Note: If carbs are not a concern, you could also serve these chicken bowls with cooked white rice, brown rice or quinoa. Or for another low carb option, serve them with Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
- Grill the chicken. Remove the chicken from the marinade and toss it on a grill over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove the chicken from the grill, let rest for 5 minutes, then slice the chicken.
- Put the bowls together. Divide the zucchini noodles between two bowls, top with the grilled chicken and chunky avocado salsa.
Are these bowls healthy?
Yes! This bowl is filled with healthy, lean protein and loaded with vitamins and calcium. It's low in calories at only 550 calories per bowl and low in carbohydrates. It's the perfect bowl to add to a healthy, balanced diet!
Make the bowls vegan
- Replace the chicken with Spicy Sofritas Tofu. Yes, like the stuff you get at Chipotle! Pinch of Yum has a great copycat recipe linked to above. The tofu can be served over the sauteed zucchini noodles and topped with the chunky avocado salsa to create a delicious vegan version of this bowl!
Meal prep the bowls
- For storage: marinate and grill the chicken, prepare the zucchini noodles and prepare the avocado salsa according to the recipe. Divide the zucchini noodles and chicken between two large bowls. Place the avocado salsa in a smaller container or plastic bag, then place it in the larger container with the zoodles and chicken.
- Note: If meal prepping these bowls to eat later in the week, prepare the avocado salsa closer to the time when you'll be eating them. As the avocado salsa will only stay good in the refrigerator for up 3 days.
- To reheat and eat: Remove the avocado salsa from the larger container. Reheat the chicken and zoodles in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and top with the avocado salsa.
- Alternatively, you can eat these leftover bowls cold, without reheating the chicken or zoodles.
More Mexican inspired bowls
- Vegetarian Enchilada Bowls with Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
- Sweet Potato Vegan Burrito Bowls with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Chipotle Cauliflower Vegan Taco Bowl
- Tex Mex Egg Roll In A Bowl
- Elote Bowl
- Breakfast Burrito Bowl
Chipotle Chicken Bowl with Avocado Salsa
- Add the chicken breasts to a large plastic bag with the chipotle vinaigrette, allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
- Before grilling the chicken, prepare the chunky avocado salsa using the recipe link provided above.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a grill preheated to medium high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the grill, loosely cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat.
- Add the zucchini noodles and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the zucchini noodles between two bowls.
- Slice the chicken and add it to each bowl.
- Top the chicken with the chunky avocado salsa.
- Zucchini noodles can be replaced with cooked white rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa, if desired.
- The chunky avocado salsa can be replaced with pico de gallo or guacamole, if desired.