Cilantro avocado dressing is delicious on top of bowls or tossed with salads! The creamy base of the dressing comes from combining plain yogurt and avocados. While cilantro, lime juice, garlic and cumin add a ton of flavor to this easy homemade salad dressing recipe!
How to make Avocado Dressing
- What you'll need:
- Plain Yogurt - Greek yogurt can also be used. The only difference between plain yogurt and Greek yogurt is that Greek yogurt is strained one additional time. This gives it a slightly thicker consistency than plain yogurt. In a pinch, sour cream can also be used instead of yogurt, but it will add additional fat and calories to the salad dressing.
- Avocado Oil - extra virgin olive oil can be used instead if you don't have any avocado oil on hand.
- Lime Juice - fresh squeezed is highly recommended for the best flavor! In a pinch, lemon juice can be used in it's place.
- Avocado - half of a large avocado is perfect for this recipe. If all you can find are small avocados, use the entire avocado. The amount of avocado should be approximately ½ cup.
- Cilantro - an entire cup of fresh cilantro adds so much flavor to this dressing. Feel free to use the cilantro leaves and stems as they'll all blend together when you prepare the dressing.
- Ground Cumin
- How to prepare the dressing:
- Add yogurt, avocado oil, water, lime juice, avocado, cilantro, garlic, cumin and salt to a mini food processor or blender. (I use a NutriBullet!)
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
How long does homemade avocado dressing last?
Homemade avocado lime dressing will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container.
Can you freeze avocado dressing?
This avocado dressing should not be frozen because of the yogurt used in the dressing. The consistency of dairy does not remain the same after it's been frozen.
Does avocado sauce turn brown?
The lime juice in this avocado sauce prevents it from browning. As long as it's stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, there should be no issues with browning.
Wondering how many delicious ways you can use this Avocado Dressing in recipes?
There are a ton of different ways to serve this creamy avocado dressing. Tossing the dressing with a salad or drizzling it on top of a bowl are our favorites, but it also makes a great topping for nachos and tacos!
Try this scrumptious salad dressing in these bowls and salads:
- Tex Mex Egg Roll in a Bowl (pictured above!)
- Fish Taco Bowls (coming soon!)
- Whole 30 Turkey Taco Salad from WhitneyBond.com
Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ avocado peeled, seed removed
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- The nutritional information provided is for 1 ounce of dressing, which equals 2 tablespoons.
- Store the dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.