It's easy to toss these Italian Sausage and Zucchini Bowls together in just 30 minutes! They're gluten free, low carb and perfect for those on the keto diet.
Italian chicken sausage, zucchini and mushrooms all bake together in the oven to create these absolutely delicious bowls! They're so flavorful and packed with healthy ingredients!
What can I make with Italian sausage and zucchini?
A simple, healthy sausage and zucchini bowl, with mushrooms, spinach and Italian seasoning.
To make these quick and easy bowls, toss diced zucchini and sliced mushrooms with olive oil and Italian seasoning. The Italian seasoning can be purchased at the grocery store or made at home using this delicious Italian seasoning recipe.
The seasoned zucchini and mushrooms are then spread out in an even layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. While the foil lining isn't necessary, it does make clean-up much easier!
Add Italian Chicken Sausage links to the baking sheet with the veggies. I like sweet Italian sausage, but hot Italian sausages will also work just fine, totally a matter of preference! Roast everything together in the oven for 20 minutes.
Once the sausage and veggies are roasted, remove from the oven and slice the sausage. Add the zucchini, mushrooms and sliced sausage to a large bowl. Toss with spinach, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Divide the mixture between four bowls and dig in!
If you'd like a little extra something on top of the bowls, add crushed red pepper flakes, shredded mozzarella cheese or grated parmesan cheese.
Can I add more veggies to these bowls?
Sure can! Bell peppers, yellow squash and onions all make excellent additions to this recipe. You'll want to cut the vegetables into a large dice, then toss them with the olive oil and Italian seasoning, along with the zucchini and mushrooms.
Depending on how many veggies you add to the recipe, you might have to add an extra tablespoon of olive oil and Italian seasoning. The vegetables will roast at the same time as the other vegetables and the Italian sausage.
Can I make these bowls on the stove instead of in the oven?
Sure! Simply heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat on the stove. Go ahead and slice the sausage and add it to the skillet first. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the mushrooms, zucchini and Italian seasoning, cook for 6-8 minutes.
Add the spinach, sea salt, lemon juice and lemon zest to the skillet. Toss everything together, then remove the skillet from the heat and serve.
Easy Sausage and Zucchini Bowl Modifications
Make It Vegan
- Use a vegan plant-based sausage instead of chicken Italian sausages. Urban Vegan chose Tofurkey Italian Sausage as their favorite vegan sausage brand. These would be the perfect vegan option for this bowl. To make this bowl vegan, you'll also want to skip adding the optional mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Make It Low Carb
- At only 6 net carbs and 8 total carbs per bowl, this recipe is already low carb and keto-friendly. Make sure the sausage purchased for these bowls contains zero carbohydrates to keep the bowls at 8 carbs each. I used True Story Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage in these bowls. It's a personal favorite, contains zero carbs and no sugar, making it paleo and whole 30 approved!
Meal Prep It
- Follow the directions for preparing the entire recipe, then transfer to 4 plastic storage containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Add A Protein
- This bowl already features chicken sausage, a great source of protein. Each bowl contains 14 grams of protein.
Looking for more Low Carb Bowls? Try these easy recipes!
- Charred Cauliflower Bowls
- Greek Cauliflower Rice Salad
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Zoodle Bowls
- Chicken Shawarma Salad
- Slow Cooker Green Chili Pulled Pork Bowls
- Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls
Low Carb Italian Sausage and Zucchini Bowls
- 4 cups zucchini diced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 10 oz Italian Chicken Sausage Links
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the diced zucchini and sliced mushrooms with olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- Arrange the zucchini and baby bella mushrooms on a foil lined baking sheet, place the sausage links on the baking sheet with the vegetables.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the sausage and veggies from the oven and slice the sausages.
- Return the zucchini and mushrooms to the bowl they were tossed in earlier, along with the sliced sausages and spinach.
- Toss with sea salt, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Transfer to 4 separate bowls and top with mozzarella, parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if you’d like.
- Nutrition: The nutritional information provided does not include the optional toppings.
- Refrigeration: Prepared bowls will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.