Quick and easy veggie fajitas are served with flavorful Mexican Cauliflower Rice and Chunky Avocado Salsa in this low carb vegan fajita bowl recipe!
Each bowl contains just 16 net carbs, 206 calories, is gluten free and whole 30 approved! These healthy, vegetarian bowls are perfect for lunch, dinner or meal prep and made in just 35 minutes!
Just one bite of this Mexican Cauliflower Rice and you'll be hooked! Want to know my secret? Roasting the cauliflower rice in the oven with delicious Mexican spices!
Now all you need is an equally delicious topping for the cauliflower rice. That's where flavorful fajita veggies and fresh avocado salsa come in to play!
How to make Vegan Fajita Bowls
- Prepare the Mexican cauliflower rice. It only takes 5 minutes to prep the cauliflower rice to go in the oven. Follow the recipe linked to above to prep the rice, then toss it in the oven to roast for 25 minutes.
- Prepare the chunky avocado salsa. While the cauliflower rice is roasting in the oven, follow this recipe to whip up an incredibly fresh and flavorful avocado salsa to top the bowls. It will only take 5-10 minutes to make!
- Prepare the veggie fajitas. After preparing the salsa, while the cauliflower rice is still roasting in the oven, heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Sauté sliced bell peppers and onions for 5 minutes. Add sliced baby bella mushrooms, minced garlic, fajita seasoning and lime juice. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the prepared Mexican cauliflower rice between four bowls, top with the veggie fajitas and avocado salsa.
What else could you add to a Vegan Fajita Bowl?
Customize these fajita bowls with your favorite toppings to make them your own! Here are a few optional toppings to think about.
- Hot Sauce - kick up the spice by drizzling your favorite hot sauce over these bowls!
- Black Beans - canned beans can be drained and rinsed and added directly to the bowls or heated up with the sautéed veggies.
- Cheese or Sour Cream - if you're not vegan, feel free to sprinkle some queso freso or add a dollop of sour cream on top of these bowls.
- Shredded Lettuce - add some extra greens to these bowls by adding shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce on top.
- Salsa - a spoonful of salsa verde would kick these bowls up another notch!
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce - I'm obsessed with adding a drizzle of this sauce to every Mexican style bowl!
How long will fajita bowls last in the refrigerator?
Stored properly, these fajita bowls will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. After 3 days, the avocado salsa will not maintain the same taste or texture. Refer to the section below on how to properly store these bowls for meal prep.
Easy Vegan Fajita Bowl Modifications
Make It Vegan
- This recipe is already vegan, therefore no modifications need to be made.
Make It Low Carb
- This bowl is already low carb at 16 net carbs and 23 total carbs per serving. The avocado salsa can be omitted to reduce the carbs to 19 total carbs and 14 net carbs per serving.
Meal Prep It
- For storage: Prepare the cauliflower rice, avocado salsa and fajita veggies. Divide the cauliflower rice and fajita veggies between four storage containers. Place the avocado salsa in separate containers if you plan to reheat the cauliflower rice and fajita veggies.
- To reheat and eat: This bowl can be eaten cold or reheated. To reheat, place the cauliflower rice and fajita veggies in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and top with the avocado salsa.
Add A Protein
- For a plant based protein addition to this bowl, add ½ cup black beans to each bowl. Black beans drained and rinsed from a can will work just fine! You can add them directly to the bowl at the end, or add them to the skillet with the sautéed veggies to heat them up.
- This will add 7 grams of protein to each bowl for a total of 12 grams of protein per bowl.
- For a meat based protein option, add chicken in with the veggies to make chicken fajita bowls.
- Sauté one pound of sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the fajita veggies. Add the chicken to the skillet with the bell peppers, then follow the instructions accordingly. Add one additional teaspoon of fajita seasoning.
- You can also roast the chicken in the oven at the same time as the cauliflower rice, in case you want to keep the chicken separate from the veggies to make some bowls vegan and other bowls with meat. To do this, simply rub the chicken breasts with olive oil, then season with fajita seasoning. Place on a baking sheet and into the oven with the cauliflower rice at 425°F for 25 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven, dice the chicken and add it to the bowls with the veggies.
- Adding 4 oz chicken to each bowl will add 25 grams of additional protein per bowl for a total of 30 grams or protein per bowl.
Looking for more plant based bowls? Check out these 7 easy vegan recipes!
- Sweet Potato Vegan Burrito Bowls
- Chipotle Cauliflower Vegan Taco Bowls
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Salad with Poblano Ranch Dressing
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables & Chimichurri Sauce
- Roasted Broccoli Bowls with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Moroccan Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts Bowl
Low Carb Vegan Fajita Bowls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups bell peppers sliced
- 1 cup red onion sliced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- Prepare the Mexican cauliflower rice and chunky avocado salsa using the recipe links above.
- While the cauliflower rice is roasting in the oven, prepare the veggie fajitas.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the bell peppers and red onion, sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, fajita seasoning and lime juice.
- Sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Divide the prepared cauliflower rice between four bowls.
- Top with the sautéed veggie fajitas and chunky avocado salsa.
- These bowls will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.