Say goodbye to boring salads and hello to this flavorful, vegan Roasted Chickpea Salad! It's loaded with healthy ingredients, that are also delicious, like chickpeas roasted with rosemary and cinnamon, quinoa, kale and the most creamy avocado vinaigrette dressing! It's gluten free, dairy free and easy to make in 25 minutes!
Salads can get a bit boring if you make the same ones every single week. That's why it is important to have a wide variety of salad recipes at your fingertips!
This Roasted Chickpea Salad recipe will help to keep things interesting with crunchy garbanzo beans, fresh greens, sweet dates, creamy avocado and the best homemade dressing!
All of these amazing flavors come from healthy plant based ingredients. In addition to packing in plenty of fiber and protein, this salad also offers potassium, vitamin C, calcium, and more vitamins and minerals.
With just 10 minutes of hands on prep time, this salad is ready to eat in just 25 minutes! Serve as a main dish on busy weeknights, or enjoy smaller portions as a filling side dish.
- Chickpeas - canned chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed are used to keep this recipe quick and easy. If you choose to use dried chickpeas instead you will need to soak them for at least 8 hours, or cook them before roasting.
- Olive oil - extra virgin olive oil has a nice mild flavor, but you can use any oil you have on hand. Other mild tasting oils such as avocado oil or vegetable oil may also be used if you do not have olive oil.
- Rosemary - buy this herb fresh, then pick the leaves off of the sprigs before chopping it up for the perfect herby flavor. In a pinch you can use dried, but since the flavor is more concentrated in dried herbs you will want to use less.
- Kale - use baby kale for a more tender texture, or you can use chopped traditional kale if you prefer. Just make sure to ditch the tough ribs in traditional kale.
- Baby spinach - feel free to also mix in other greens like arugula or spring mix, or even romaine lettuce.
- Avocado vinaigrette <-- this easy homemade dressing recipe is ready in just 5 minutes! The ingredients include fresh avocados, fresh lemon juice, vinegar, and seasonings! It's the perfect creamy finish for this salad.
- Cooked quinoa <-- click the link to learn how to cook quinoa perfectly on the stovetop, in an Instant Pot or rice cooker. Prepare this ahead of time so it's ready to go when you are!
- Red onion - The taste of the red onion is best, I do not recommend substituting with another variety. Keep it thinly sliced so it isn't too overwhelming.
- Dates - purchasing pitted dates will save on the prep time, otherwise you will need to deseed them yourself. Once the seeds are removed, chop them up so you get little bits in every bite.
- Avocado - the thin slices are the perfect creamy touch to go with all the other textures.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Black pepper
- Roast the chickpeas.
- Coat the chickpeas with olive oil, rosemary, cinnamon, kosher salt and black pepper. An easy way to do this is to toss everything in a bowl with a spatula.
- Arrange the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 450°F for 15-20 minutes.
- Assemble the salad.
- Toss the kale and spinach with the avocado vinaigrette dressing in a large bowl until the greens are coated.
- Add the quinoa and mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture into serving bowls.
- Top the salad with the roasted chickpeas, red onion, chopped dates and avocado, then dig in!
Bulk up your healthy chickpea salad with extra flavor, texture, and nutrition by adding any of these ingredients.
- Roasted sweet potato - double the olive oil and seasonings, then season and roast 2 cups of diced sweet potatoes with the chickpeas.
- Shredded carrots - use a cheese grater to make your own or purchase already shredded carrots in the refrigerated produce section.
- Diced bell peppers - red peppers are recommended for their great taste, but orange and yellow peppers have mild flavors that would also go well.
- Sliced or diced cucumber - English cucumbers have a wonderful firm and crunchy texture that would be perfect in this salad.
- Cherry tomatoes - slice in half to keep them easy to eat and avoid the dreaded tomato juice squirt!
- Pistachios - you can shell them yourself or buy already shelled pistachios to save time.
- Almonds - slivered or sliced almonds would both be excellent!
- Feta cheese - a little saltiness tastes great with all of the other flavors. You can keep the recipe plant based by using vegan cheese.
Add a protein
This salad is already packed with plant based protein from the chickpeas and quinoa. Each serving already contains 22 grams of protein, but if you'd like to add more, these are some great options for you!
- For plant based protein
- Add 4 ounces of cooked tempeh, which will add 15 grams of protein to this salad. Crumble or cube the tempeh, then toss it in the oil and seasonings that the chickpeas use. Pan fry the tempeh or roast it in the oven.
- Press and dice tofu, then season and roast the cubes. One half cup will add 10 grams of protein.
- For meat based protein
- Mix in 4 ounces of cooked chicken per serving to increase the protein by 19 grams. The flavors of the chicken in these Blackened Chicken Salads or Whole30 BBQ Chicken Bowls would both pair great with this chickpea salad!
Meal prep it
- For storage:
- Prepare the roasted chickpeas as instructed and cook the quinoa. Wait to dress the greens.
- Load four large individual airtight storage containers with the kale, spinach, quinoa, chickpeas, red onion, and dates. Keep the chickpeas in their own small container if you plan on reheating.
- Divide the dressing between four small containers.
- Place the dressing in the large containers with the salad base.
- Wrap ¼ avocado in plastic wrap and add to each container.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To reheat and eat
- Remove the chickpeas from the salad container and microwave for 60-90 seconds.
- Add the warmed chickpeas to the salad, toss with the dressing, top with the avocado and enjoy!
- Or, simply toss with the dressing and enjoy cold.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I use a different salad dressing? Yes, this salad would also be delicious with this Lemon Tahini Dressing, or this Poblano Cashew Ranch Dressing.
- Are roasted chickpeas good for you? Yes garbanzo beans are full of fiber and protein, which helps keep you full longer. They also offer a good amount of vitamins and minerals including calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- Do you have to soak chickpeas before roasting? If you are using dried chickpeas, they should either be soaked or cooked before roasting. However, canned chickpeas require no extra preparation other than draining and rinsing.
- Is this recipe gluten free? Yes, all of the ingredients in this salad are naturally gluten free.
More chickpea recipes
Can't get enough healthy garbanzo beans in your life? Try these other easy recipes with chickpeas!
- Indian Cauliflower Bowl with Roasted Chickpeas
- Italian Bowl with Roasted Vegetables
- Lemon Herb Greek Quinoa Bowl
- Cauliflower Shawarma Bowl
- Roasted Summer Squash Quinoa Bowls
- Roasted Broccoli Bowls
- Vegan Cobb Salad
Roasted Chickpea Salad
- 14 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups kale
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup avocado vinaigrette click link for recipe
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- ½ avocado thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil, rosemary, cinnamon, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Place in an even layer on a baking sheet and into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale and spinach with the avocado vinaigrette dressing.
- Add the quinoa and toss to combine.
- Divide the dressed salad between two bowls.
- Top each salad bowl with the chickpeas, red onion, dates and avocado.
- If you want to use dried chickpeas in this recipe, be sure to soak them for at least 8-10 hours, before roasting them in the oven.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free and vegan.