Mix up a batch of Moroccan Seasoning to add a serious burst of flavor to vegetables, rice and meat! This Moroccan spice blend is gluten free, sugar free and whole 30 approved!
Try it in this recipe for Moroccan Roasted Chickpea Carrot Bowls or as a delicious seasoning rub on chicken or lamb!
What is Moroccan seasoning made of?
The famous Moroccan seasoning, ras el hanout, contains 27 spices. This seasoning mix recipe combines the 10 most common spices found in the mix, for a more reasonable spice mixture to make at home! These 10 spices include:
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Ground Turmeric
- Ground Ginger
- Salt, pepper, turmeric and ginger are the four essential spices found in Moroccan cooking.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Cloves
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves add sweet accents to the seasoning mix.
- Ground Coriander
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Cumin
- Coriander, cayenne pepper and cumin are added to the seasoning mix for even more flavor & just a little heat!
Are Moroccan spices hot?
While this Moroccan seasoning blend contains a lot of different spices, it is not spicy hot. The only ingredient in the spice mix that has any spice to it is cayenne pepper. There's so little of it in the spice mix that it keeps the mix on the mild side.
What to make with Moroccan Seasoning
Once you've mixed up the Moroccan seasoning, it can be stored for up to a year in the pantry. Store in an airtight container, such as a small mason jar, then you'll always have it on hand to throw in these delicious dishes!
- Moroccan Roasted Chickpea Carrot Bowls - this spice mix is a delicious way to flavor roasted veggies. Carrots, tomatoes and garbanzo beans are all coated in the seasoning, then roasted and served with brown rice and harissa sauce in these delicious bowls.
- Rice - add a drizzle of lemon juice and a sprinkling of this Moroccan seasoning to cooked white or brown rice for a burst of flavor!
- Grilled or Roasted Chicken - coat chicken breasts or thighs in olive oil and the Moroccan seasoning, then roast or grill the chicken for a flavorful meal!
- Tagine - possibly the most popular Moroccan dish, a tagine is actually named after the dish it's cooked in and can include vegetable dishes, stews and more! Try out this seasoning mix in one of these tasty tagine recipes:
Fill up your pantry with all of these delicious spice mixes!
Homemade seasoning mixes are more delicious than store bought and you have the added benefit of knowing exactly what's going in them. These seasoning mixes are made with only ground spices, so you know that they're vegan, gluten free, sugar free and whole 30 approved!
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl or mason jar.