Instant Pot Sushi Rice is the easiest way to make PERFECT sushi rice every time, in just 30 minutes! Use the sushi rice to make rolls, bowls or nigiri!
Try out this recipe for your next sushi night at home or use it as the base for these Sesame Seared Tuna Bowls.
How to make Sushi Rice
Sushi rice is made by cooking rice, then adding a combination of vinegar, sugar and salt to the rice. These ingredients add flavor and help provide the perfect consistency for making sushi rolls.
- What kind of rice to use for Sushi?
- Short grain white rice is the preferred type of rice for making sushi. A medium-grain white rice can also be used, but try to avoid long grain white rice if possible. Long grain white rice, such as jasmine rice, is drier than sushi rice, making it harder for the rice to achieve the sticky consistency necessary to make sushi. If you’re simply using the sushi rice as the base of a bowl and not to make sushi rolls, any type of white rice will work just fine.
- How to make Sushi Rice in an Instant Pot
- Add the uncooked short grain rice to a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Allow the rice to dry for 2-3 minutes, then add the rice to the Instant Pot.
- Add equal parts rice and water to the Instant Pot. Therefore if you’re adding 2 cups rice, add 2 cups water. If you’re adding 1 cup rice, add 1 cup water.
- Quick Tip! One cup of uncooked rice will yield approximately three cups of cooked rice.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the pressure release valve is set to “sealing”.
- How long do you cook sushi rice in an Instant Pot?
- When making sushi rice in an Instant Pot, you’ll want to pressure cook the rice for 8 minutes on low. The Instant Pot will take approximately 10 minutes to pressure up and 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure, for a total time of 28 minutes to cook sushi rice in an Instant Pot.
- After the rice has cooked and the Instant Pot has pressured down for 10 minutes, remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Transfer the rice from the pressure cooker to a glass bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine sugar, salt, rice vinegar and white vinegar.
- Microwave this mixture for 60 seconds, remove from the microwave and whisk until all of the salt and sugar has dissolved into the liquid.
- Add this mixture to the rice and gently fold the vinegar mixture into the rice to keep the rice nice and fluffy!
- If you’re making sushi rolls, cover the rice with a damp towel, place it in the refrigerator and allow the mixture to cool before handling.
How long will sushi rice last in the refrigerator?
Covered and stored properly, cooked sushi rice will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I do not recommend freezing sushi rice, as the consistency will change after defrosting the frozen rice.
How much rice is in a sushi roll?
A standard sushi roll contains one cup of rice. For sushi nigiri, you’ll need approximately 2 tbsp cooked sushi rice per piece of fish.
When making sushi bowls, I recommend 1 cup of cooked sushi rice per bowl.
Is Sushi Rice gluten free?
Yes, sushi rice is gluten free. All rice is actually gluten free and the ingredients added to sushi rice are all naturally gluten free.
Wondering how to use your delicious sushi rice? Try it in these tasty recipes!
- Sesame Seared Tuna Sushi Bowls
- Homemade Dragon Roll from Just One Cookbook
- Philadelphia Roll from Fifteen Spatulas
- Crunchy Avocado Hand Rolls from Wife Mama Foodie
- Spicy Shrimp Sushi Stacks from Closet Cooking
Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- 2 cups short grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh strainer under running water until the water runs clear, usually 1-2 minutes.
- Allow the rice to dry for 2 minutes, then add it to the Instant Pot with the water.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the pressure release valve is set to sealing.
- Set the manual timer on the Instant Pot to low pressure for 8 minutes.
- After the cooking time is up, wait 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressure down.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and transfer the cooked rice to a large glass bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the white vinegar, rice vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Microwave the vinegar mixture for 60 seconds and whisk together until all of the sugar and salt has dissolved in the vinegar.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and gently fold to combine everything together, keeping your rice nice and fluffy!
- If using the rice to make sushi rolls, cover it with a damp towel and allow it to cool completely before handling.
- One cup of uncooked rice = three cups cooked rice.
- Cover and store any leftover sushi rice in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.